This meme has been floating around for a few months on the web, and it’s time for it to die. I was tagged by Neil Ward-Dutton, and I promised to respond although I’m not passing it on from here. Time for a new meme!
So here goes, five things that you (probably) don’t know about me:
- I hold a private pilot’s licence, although I’ve only flown once in the last five years. I remember my first solo flight like it was yesterday, and regret not keeping it up.
- My favourite TV shows are Desperate Housewives and Battlestar Galactica. Don’t even try to psychoanalyze that one.
- I love to cook, and most times would rather cook for friends than go out to a restaurant. In particular, I will cook just about anything on a barbeque regardless of weather, which seems less weird if you consider that my family traditionally cooks a 30-lb Christmas turkey on the barbeque. In the snow. My favourite vacation ever was cooking school in Tuscany.
- My first programming language was FORTRAN, and I never learned COBOL. I started my career writing Fourier analysis pattern recognition applications for satellite images, although I’d be hard-pressed to remember what an eigenvalue is these days.
- I learned to read at age 4, and it’s been my most common leisure activity since that time. In spite of that (or maybe because of the number of books that I read), I rarely keep books for very long: I either borrow them from the public library, or buy them and pass them on to friends/family when I’ve read them. My only “permanent” collections are cookbooks and travel guides.