In case you’ve been missing my Links posts since early June, here’s what I’ve posted since then:
- Entrepreneurs and high-speed railways | Gulliver | Economist.com
Rome to Milan in 3 hours — I wish that this was ready by September when I’ll be doing the trip, but it’s not until 2011.
- Making the Business Case for a Business Process « Workflow IQ – Smart Workflow & Business Process Improvements
Good post on what you need for a BPM (or really any other) business case: context, value prop, focus, deliverables, workload, resources, committments. Some areas arguably more of a project plan.
- IBM WebSphere Process Server, WebSphere Integration Developer, and WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus
New: “Comprehensive advanced human workflow capabilities for the business user with a new out-of-the-box, ready-to-run, Web 2.0 Business Process Management (BPM) client”. Say goodbye, FileNet…
- EDS’ Next Big Thing Blog: Read and Respond to What the EDS Fellows Say About Technology : BPMN 2.0 Issues: (2) Why Are Temporal Constraints Better for Flow Control?
Fred Cummins on flow control in BPMN 2.0: token flow versus temporal constraints.
- Phil Gilbert | Perspectives in Process
Phil’s five charters of BPM governance (platform sharing, democracy, project budgeting and transparency, conflict situations, and platform investment). More to come.
- Why analyst relations matter – Analysts do not have time to do comprehensive research « SageCircle Blog
The danger of just using the vendors in the analyst magic whatevers to choose a short-list: the analysts don’t actually evaluate products.
- Main Page – Fair Copyright Toronto
Wiki for Fair Copyright for Canada, Toronto chapter. Use for MP info and letters, and other resources about bill C-61.
- Study: Only one out of five SOA efforts bearing fruit | Service-Oriented Architecture | ZDNet.com
Joe McKendrick’s comments on the recent Burton Group report, which reports some pretty dismal results for SOA projects.
- The iTKO LISA Soapbox: SOA Testing, Validation & Virtualization: BPM testing & validation: How & Why?
Often, companies test BPM in a pretty ad hoc manner; this post discusses how to get some discipline into that activity
- Intalio 2008 User Conference – Sessions
If you missed the Intalio user conference (as I did), you can see the summary of each session and the presentation, where available.
- Investing in the IT That Makes a Competitive Difference
The elements of a successful IT-enabled business process: enterprise scope, immediate results, precision, consistency, monitoring and enforceabilty. Via Shane Pearson.
- Oracle Middleware briefing
Full slide deck from the Oracle/BEA briefing on July 1st, 2008
- Why Identi.ca is important
The short answer: it’s open, open, open. Open source, open data, federated architecture. Find me at http://identi.ca/skemsley
- skemsley’s timeline on Swurl
An amazing view of my activities, via my feeds, in a calendar format.
- How to find FriendFeed Rooms with Google
An open source microblogging platform and service.
- How-To Videos from The Home Depot on blip.tv
Videos on everything from using power tools to applying paint.
- Phil Gilbert | Perspectives in Process
“We work with companies all the time who have several hundred people assigned to massive projects which will take quarters, if not years, to deliver. Yet, it’s almost more difficult to locate three people who can work for 4 months on a BPM project”
- Go Big Always – Anatomy of the Enterprise Octopus
Sam Lawrence of Jive Software compares the Enterprise Filing Cabinet with the Enterprise Octopus — moving from file-centric work to people-centric work.
- SAP Network Blogs
An overview of how SAP NetWeaver BPM will work with Guided Procedures in the core SAP product.
- Intalio Day 1 – Coghead – BPMS Watch
Bruce Silver’s review of Coghead, the in-the-cloud application development environment, which includes Intalio’s BPM under the covers.
- Toronto Maps
2008 edition of blogTO’s free Toronto neighbourhood maps available
- 30+ Tools For Cheap and Convenient Air Travel | Mashable! – The Social Networking Blog
- Talking Points to Defeat Bill C-61 at www.brendonwilson.com
A summary of the proposed Canadian copyright bill and what it means for the average person, in non-geeky language. Also, a list of things to do in order to fight it.
- /Message: Web Culture And The New Ethos Of Work [From Enterprise 2.0 June 2008]
Stowe Boyd’s presentation, with his presentation notes, from last week at Enterprise 2.0. I enjoyed the presentation live but couldn’t capture all the ideas as they flew by, making this a good reference.
- How To Deal With Analysts: #19 White Papers | HaveMacWillBlog (aka Robin Bloor’s Blog)
How analysts are hired to write white papers, and the types of papers produced. Under this categorization, I write “thought leadership” papers for vendor clients.
- Think Tank Program
BPM Think Tank program now posted! Here’s the agenda for the TT in October. There’s still a few holes in it, but we’re getting them filled up.
- Ross Mayfield’s Weblog: Enterprise 2.008
Ross Mayfield on the changing nature of business processes: “I no longer believe we are headed towards an end of process…we will redesign most processes with more transparency and participation”
- Lombardi Blog | Process People » Blog Archive » Announcing the Blueprint Summer ‘08 Release
A new release of Lombardi’s Blueprint on-demand process modeling tool.
- Watch ARIS TV – The first BPM YouTube channel in the world | ARIS BPM Blog
Eric Brabaender of IDS Scheer launches ARIS TV, short videos about ARIS and BPM.
Free automatic 2-D image stitcher
- The Official ImgBurn Website
Lightweight and free disk burning app.
- Save jPod! — jPod Rebroadcast on CBC
Woo hoo! jPod is being rebroadcast (and is also available on the CBC website for those of you not in Canada) and with some luck, our support for it might reverse the cancellation.
- » “Canada’s DMCA”, a.k.a. Bill C-61, Wasn’t Written for You and Me » The Adventures of Accordion Guy in the 21st Century : Joey deVilla’s Personal Blog
Joey DeVilla with an excellent summary of the newly introduced Canadian copyright bill, explaining why it’s important to all of us that this is not passed.
- VLC on the iPhone and iPod Touch? Yep – Download Squad
Now, where’s those instructions on how to jailbreak my iPod Touch?
- KM Space: Wrap Up of Enterprise 2.0
Doug Cornelius’ coverage of E2.0, including links to some of his favorite keynotes.
- Enterprise 2.0 2008 – Video Archives – Don Burke, Intellipedia Doyen, and Sean Dennehy, Intellipedia Evangelist, CIA
If you missed the CIA keynote on Intellipedia at E2.0 this week, here it is on video.
- Michael Geist – The Canadian DMCA: Check the Fine Print
How Canadians are about to get royally screwed by the new copyright bill. Call, email or write your MP today!